Monday, March 1, 2021

DOING WHAT'S RIGHT, EVEN WHEN IT'S HARD

 

Recently, the entire United States went through an extreme artic blast, with record- breaking low temperatures and snowfall in places that haven’t seen in decades, if ever.

 

When it’s extremely cold, -20F to be exact, it’s tough to get motivated and get out of a cozy bed, let alone leave the comfort of a warm home and go to work. On many occasions my job has me working outside, and that can make it even less motivating. I really have to get myself pumped up for the occasion, telling myself, “it won’t be that bad,” “you’ve done it before, you can do it again,” and “at least I’m getting paid to do this.” These pep talks usually help enough to overcome the miserable idea of what my day may entail, and so I go about the day fighting to stay focused and on task to get the work done and not freeze a finger off. By the end of the day my body is chilled to the bone and thoroughly exhausted. By the time I arrive home from work, my wife will usually ask, “how’d it go?” to which I reply in a grumpy voice, “fine!” I fight to stay awake through dinner and take a scalding hot shower to try and warm up my bones.

 

On the other hand, if it’s a day to be filled with hunting or any other outdoor adventure, things would play out dramatically different. I would be awake before the alarm goes off, jump out of bed hurrying to get out the door, thinking to myself, “I can’t wait to get outside!” With many layers on and one eye frozen shut I would say, “it ain’t that bad!” Dreading the day’s end, I talk excitedly with anyone, sharing how the day was and how much I’m looking forward to the next time.

 

Working in the cold.          Playing in the cold

Isn’t it interesting how easily we do the things we want to do, but struggle to do the things we need to do?

 

Galatians 6:9 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment