Monday, March 22, 2021

DID YOU HEAR THAT?

Typically, the best time to hunt is in the morning, which works great for me because I’m a morning person. I like to be in the exact spot I plan to hunt well before sunrise. I love being in the woods at sunrise!

When it comes to turkey hunting, I’m usually sitting on the ground with my back leaning against a tree. For the first half hour or so, it’s usually pitch black. I can’t see anything, but I can hear everything. While directly on the ground right amongst the critters, sounds can be heard all around and from above. The sounds around me range from the light scurrying of field mice, a heavier waddling of a raccoon or opossum, to the slow methodic foot placement of a whitetail deer or coyote. The sounds come from above and can be from an owl hooting or the rustling feathers of a turkey waking from long slumber. When it’s completely dark, none of these things can be seen but I know they’re there. It’s important to pay attention to what I hear to know if I’m in the right place or not.

Sometimes, one of my sons or my brother have been with me, and that’s helpful to get a different perspective on the exact sound. My hearing has worsened over the years and things may sound a bit different to me. The question, “did you hear that?” is asked a lot. This is helpful to confirm whether nothing was heard, something was heard, or it was exactly what we both thought. The owl’s “who, who a-whoo.” can sound like “who cooks for you.” And where do you think a Chickadee got its name from? Just listen to their song, “chick-a-dee-dee-dee.” A honking goose can sound like a clucking turkey and a squirrel rustling in the leaves always sounds like an approaching deer.

It’s the same as listening for and hearing what God is trying to say; maybe it’s a light scurrying in your soul, perhaps a casual waddling nudge, and most of the time it’s exactly what you thought you heard.

The most beautiful sunrise I've ever witnessed. God didn't have to say anything


Hebrews 2:1 We must pay most careful attention, therefore, to what we heard, so that we do not drift away.



No comments:

Post a Comment